A New Historicist Perspective on Sonam
A Novel by Yeshi Dorji Thongchi
Any literary texts, as emphasized by new historicist, can never be an independent texts. Literary texts are but the constitution of sociocultural beliefs, religious beliefs and economic conditions of a particular time. Thus, this paper is an attempt to analyze and understand historical factors such as religious beliefs, social practices and cultural discourses that shaped Yeshi Dorjee Thongchi’s views and concern in depicting Monpas’ and Brokpas’ life and society of a particular time. However, the novel Sonam does not guarantee the exact picture of Monpas’ life in 1980s. Thus, through the lens of new historicism, this Paper will also run in parallel with the core subject to study changes that have taken place by considering the existing beliefs and economic situations a reader lives, and draw proper conclusion to deliberate on the subjectivity and objectivity of the text.
Keywords: New historicist, sociocultural discourses, religious beliefs, economy, Monpa, Brokpa.
2. Dutta, J. Reading Yeshi Dorji Thongchi’s Sonam: A new historicist perspective. 2011. III (5-6)
3. Greener Pasture. The Monpa tribe of Arunachal Pradesh: celebrating indigenous people .2014. Retrieved on 27/4/2019 form https://thenortheasttravelblog.com/2014/09/03/monpa-tribeof-arunachal-pradesh/
4. Motebennur, M. Digital Preservation of Mahayana Buddhist Manuscripts of Arunachal Pradesh: Strategies, Issues and Challenges. 2009. Retrieved on 15/05/2019 from https://www.inflibnet.ac.in/caliber2009/CaliberPDF/16.pdf
5. Pokhrel, N. Brokpa’s origin depicted in a painting. 2015. Retrieved on 25/4/2019 from http://www.kuenselonline.com/brokpas-origin-depicted-in-a-painting/
6. Ryan, M.Literary theory: A practical introduction. An introduction to historical criticism. Chichester, West Sussex. UK. Wiley Blackwell publishing. 2017. Print.
7. Study.com. New historicism in literature. Retrieved on 10/05/19 form https://study.com/academy/lesson/new-historicism-in-literature.html
8. Thongchi, Y. D. Sonam. (M. Borooah, Trans). D.K. Fine Arts Press, Dehli, Spectrum Publications (original work published 198). 2001. Print.
Copyright (c) 2022 Taw Tshering
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Before you submit your article, you must read our Copyright Notice.