Revisiting Pettigrew’s Education: The Ushering of the Colonial Ideology Through Schools and Textbooks Amongst the Tangkhul Nagas (1896 -1938)
This article attempts to relook at the works of Rev. William Pettigrew from the point of view of the native eyes. The dwindling of the Tangkhul Naga language and the introduction of the western education system to the Tangkhul Naga tribe in the year 1896 led to the tribe embracing Christianity. The systematic overhauling of the education system from being rooted in oral culture to that with a written education system brought a sea change in the lives of the tribe. The article sought to relocate the intricate coupling of the Bible and the school text in the late 19th century and the early 20th century.
Keywords: Tangkhul, William Pettigrew, Conversion, Education, Missionary, Manipur.
2. Downs, Frederick. S. Christianity in North East India. In Rowena Robinsin & Sathjanathan Clarke (Eds.), Religious conversion in India: modes, motivates and meanings. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2003.
3. Haimendorf, Christoph von Furer. The naked Nagas. London: Methuen & Co. , 1939.
4. Kanrei, T. Wung Okthot Mayonza. Ukhrul: 1944.
5. Laura E Donaldson & Kwok Pui-Lan (eds.), Routledge. Postcolonialism, Feminism and Religious Discourse. New York: Routledge, 2002.
6. Luikham. Tangkhul (Wung) Dictionary (Tangkhul English). Ukhrul: 1974.
7. Luikham, R.K. Chishutmi: Akhum II in Tangkhul. Ukhrul: (Published by Rosalind Luikham, Revised, Fifth Edition, 1988), 1957.
8. Pettigrew, William. Tangkhul Naga Grammar and Dictionary (Ukhrul Dialect). Shillong: Secretariat Printing Office, 1918.
9. --- Tangkhul Naga Primer. Ukhrul: 1896.
10. —. Tangkhul Naga Grammar and Dictionary with Illustrative Sentences. Ukhrul : The Tangkhul Naga Baptist Convention (1979), 1918.
11. Solo, M. Forty Years Mission in Manipur: Mission Reports of Rev. William Pettigrew. Ukhrul, TBL Publication, 2006.
12. Khokharum Laa. Tangkhul Baptist Long. Ukhrul: Yarthot Publication, 1962.
13. Tezenlo, Thong. Progress and its Impacts on the Nagas: A Clash of World Views. New York: Routledge, 2014.
14. The Holy Bible (KJV). Bangalore: BSI Publication, 1999.
15. Kathara Bible. Ukhrul: Tangkhul Naga Baptist Long, 1960.
16. Zvi, Lamm. Ideologies and Educational Thought, Hebrew University of Jerusalem. 1986.
Copyright (c) 2020 A C Kharingpam
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Before you submit your article, you must read our Copyright Notice.