Bengali Middle Class Urban Women in the Late Twentieth and Early Twenty First Centuries through the Lens of the Writings of Suchitra Bhattacharya
Suchitra Bhattacharya (1950-2015) was a well-known fiction writer in Bengali language in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. Her works reflect the pains and problems, happiness and sorrows, sentiments and beliefs of urban middle-class Bengali women. This essay endeavours to portray the issues women face in their day to day lives in the urban middle class setting of Bengali society in the late 20th and early 21st centuries as captured by Suchitra Bhattacharya in her fictions. This paper ends with the author's own critique of relevant issues.
2. Bhattacharya, Suchitra, Ardhek Aakash, Ananda Publishers, Kolkata, 2012
3. Bhattacharya, Suchitra, Chaar Dewal, Ananda Publishers, Kolkata, 2008
4. Bhattacharya, Suchitra, Kaancher Dewal, in Suchitra Samagra, Ananda Publishers, Vol.1
5. Dahon, Vol.1
6. Neel Ghurni, Vol.3
7. Uro Megh, Vol. 4
8. Chena mukh Achena Mukh, Vol. 2
9. Bhanga Ayena, Vol. 4
10. Dhushar Bishad, Vol. 2
11. Hathat Ekdin, Vol.4
12. Gahin Hriday, Vol.2
13. Adbhut Aandhar Ek, Vol. 1
14. Hemanter Pakhi, Vol.2
15. Hemanter Pakhi.
16. Phire Dekha, in Suchitra Samagra, Vol. 3
17. Phire Dekha.
18. Saheli, in Suchitra Samagra, Vol. 2
19. Shyamali, Vol.3
20. Arpita, Vol.3
21. Gabhir Ashukh, Vol. 2
22. Jalchhobi, Vol.4
23. Dahon, Vol.1
24. Bishaad Periye, Ananda Publishers, Kolkata, 2014
25. Rang Badlay, in Suchitra Samagra, Vol.5
26. Rang Badlay.
27. Shunyo Theke Shunyo in Suchitra Samagra, Vol. 5.
28. Bhangankaal, Vol. 1
29. Roopkatha Noi in Desh, Special Puja issue, 2008, pp. 132-211
30. Aborto in Suchitra Samagra, Vol. 5
31. Shikhar Thikana in Galpo Samagra, Vol. 1, Dey's Publishing, Kolkata, 2016, pp. 384-3
32. Ayenamahal, in Suchitra Samagra, Vol. 5
Copyright (c) 2023 Dr. Monmayee Basu
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Before you submit your article, you must read our Copyright Notice.