Gandhian Philosophy in Indian Literature
Gandhi has been one of the major sources for literature writing in India, his philosophical reflections can be found in a large number of writings, this involves writers of not only one language or ideology, but of multiple different languages and time periods, all of them have tried to encapsulate his ideology in their writings. These writers are mostly who have deliberated upon social issues or problems prevalent in their respective societies and the most prominent personality, who had a great impact on mitigating and alleviating them is Gandhi, hence his incorporation is an inalienable part of such Literature. The research paper studies and understands the impact of Gandhian philosophy on Indian literature, with a special emphasis on the writings of Premchand and Raja Rao, it analyses their writings, relevance to the then society and Gandhian philosophy incorporated in them.
1. Premchand, Munshi. Godan. New Delhi: Diamond Books, 2012.
2. Bhattacharya, Bhabani. Gandhi the Writer. New Delhi: National Book Trust, 2014.
3. Kripalini, Krishna. Modern Indian Literature: A Panoramic Glimpse. Vermont: Tuttle Publishing, 1972.
4. Rao, Raja. Kanthapura. New York: New Directions, 1967.
1. Le Thi Bich Thuy. Castle Issue in Early Twentieth – Century India in the Novels Godan of Prem Chand and Shrimp Season of Thakagi Sivaskara Pillai (Volume 4 Issue 2) World Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities. 2018, http://www.sciepub.com/WJSSH/content/4/2
2. Lalita, Gandhi- a Never Ending Inspiration: Reflection of Gandhian Thoughts in Mulk Raj Anand’s Untouchable and Raja Rao’s Kanthapura, (Volume 16 Issue 2) in Journal of Advances and Scholarly Researches in Allied Education - 2019, http://www.ignited.in/I/a/89105
1. Deshpande, Manali S. History of the Indian Caste System and its Impact on India Today. https://digitalcommons.calpoly.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1043&context=socssp
2. Chakraborty, Koyel. "Gandhian Influence on Indian Writing in English: An assessment of the effects of developmental Communication, as used in the Political Campaigns by Gandhiji, portrayed by the Contemporary Indian English Novelists." https://www.mkgandhi.org/articles/g_writing.htm
3. Premchand, Munshi. https://www.studymode.com/essays/Munshi-Premchand-1765918.html
4. Rao, Raja. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raja_Rao
Copyright (c) 2021 Hemanth Kumar
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Before you submit your article, you must read our Copyright Notice.