Dalit Feminism - Significance and Relevance: An Overview
Post-Modern discourses have aided in understanding the formation of caste discourses and gender discourses as multiple realities. As such it is important to integrate the disciplines of Dalit studies and Gender studies in order to understand the fundamental way in which caste and gender as systems of discrimination inflect each other in our hierarchical and stratified society. While this kind of analysis is path breaking, it nevertheless needs to be extended to include socio-cultural and literary contexts in order to enable more productive readings of Dalit discourses. A way to conceive of ‘Gender reality’ in terms of Caste is lacking. So it becomes essential to look at the struggles of representation, inclusions and exclusions imminent in the usage of the category ‘woman’.
2. Gerda Lerner, “The Creation of Patriarchy”, OUP. New York. 1986.
3. Tharu Susie and Niranjana. T, ‘Problems for a contemporary Theory of Gender’, Hyderabad, 2001. p 494-526.
4. Kothari Rajni, ‘Rise of the Dalits and the renewed debate on Caste’, EPW, Vol. 29 (26) June 25, 1994.
5. Gopal Guru, ‘Dalit women talk differently’, EPW, Oct 14-21, 1995.
6. P.Kesava Kumar, ‘Negotiating Caste and Gender: An experience of Andhra Politics’ in “Insight” Vol I No. 7-8 March-April 2005. p 41.
7. Sonal Shukla and Vibhuti Patel, translated by Joy Deshmukh.
8. In “Gender and Caste”, edt by Anupama Rao, Kali for women, New Delhi, 2003 pp 80-99.
9. Swathy Margaret, ‘Dalit Feminism’ in “Unbroken People” Vol 2. No2. Quarterly Magazine, July 2005. Vol 1 No:2
10. Paulo Feire, “The pedagogy of the Oppressed”, 1972
11. Jupaka Subhadra, “Just Between us”, edt by Core group, Women Unlimited, New Delhi. 2004
12. Guru, Gopal “Atrophy in Dalit Politics”, Vikas Adyayan Kendra, Mumbai, 2005.
13. Raka Ray, “Fields of Protest: Women’s Movements in India”, Kali for Women, New Delhi, 2002.
Copyright (c) 2023 Dr. Saraswathi K B
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Before you submit your article, you must read our Copyright Notice.